In the beginning, the idea of a chapter in the Annapolis, Maryland, area was the brainchild of Willie Q. McManus, a 1948 Alpha Nu initiate of the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical College Chapter in Greensboro, North Carolina (now North Carolina A&T State University). A teacher at Wiley Bates High School in Annapolis, he realized the need for an alumni chapter in the area since the closest ones were located in Baltimore and Washington.
Brother McManus began to ask other Kappas who also taught at Bates High School, as well as those who lived in the Annapolis area, of their interest in establishing a chapter. This group became known as the Kappa Men of Annapolis. In April 1965, McManus then contacted Charles G. Tildon, the Polemarch of the Eastern Province, to get information on establishing a chapter. Tildon informed H.H. Holloway, the Executive Secretary of Kappa Alpha Psi, of the interest in establishing a chapter in Annapolis, Maryland. It was noted at the time that there were three brothers who lived in Washington, DC, and another brother who lived in Baltimore. These brothers wanted to affiliate with the group from Annapolis since they were working together.
After several meetings and the collection of fees, a petition was signed on October 13, 1965, asking for the establishment of the Annapolis Alumni Chapter. The Grand Board of Directors later granted approval for the creation of the Chapter.
The chartering date was Sunday, December 5, 1965. The event took place at the Y.M.C.A. on West Street in Annapolis. Among the visiting brothers were Past Grand Polemarch W. Henry Greene, who facilitated the chartering ceremony, and Asst. Executive Secretary Earl A Morris, who conducted the installation of officers. The first Polemarch was Willie Q. McManus, the Vice-Polemarch was Henry Austin, and the Keeper of Records and Exchequer was Roscoe Parker.
From Our Polemarch
Willis Stamps II, 29th Polemarch